Saturday, November 7, 2009

Her Point is

I’ve never been taught a set way to summarize; my teachers have always said “explain in your own words,” and it was for a reading from a textbook that they didn’t want to read aloud, never for an argument. This chapter, with its structured outline of rules and things to keep in mind, with good and bad examples helped make the information click.


When describing the argument, and how to begin, the chapter used the phrase “entering a conversation.” Upon reading this, I realized that when I’m debating with my friends about a Harry Potter fan fiction, I summarize the story, and use it to my benefit. So when put into that context, summarizing for an argument doesn’t seem so bad. If I use it in speech, why not use it in writing as well?


The examples on “what not to do” were a great help. I’ve noticed that teachers rarely use “bad” examples, probably so no one is embarrassed. But this chapter not only gives examples on the wrong ways of doing things, but how to avoid doing them, and why they’re considered wrong, or bad; like “list summaries,” the chapter explains what they are, why they shouldn’t be done, and how not to do them.


The satirical summary is confusing to me. I understand what they are, but I’m not sure how to do one. But the example of the Daily Show was useful, relating it to something that’s common. However, I think that it might take some practice before I even get the regular summary down, let alone the satirical one. I didn’t realize words mattered that much, but when the right words are put together, I realized that the argument could have much more or an impact. Using words instead like “said,” use words like “emphasized” and the argument won’t be monotonous and boring.

1 comment: