Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Will Conquer

Apparently there are only four different ways of learning. I’ve heard of many ways, such as flash cards, pictures, writing and rewriting notes; but it never occurred to me that they fall into four categories. As I took an assessment to see what learning style I possess I began with an air of disdain. How could a quiz be accurate? However I’m used to quizzes such as “Which Hot Male Celebrity Will You Marry?” or “Which House from Harry Potter Do You Belong In?” But in the middle I realized the difference in the quizzes and how this assessment is probably a legit one.


When the results came in, I learned that I can absorb information three out of the four ways, and that I can switch “modes” depending on which class I’m in. That night I took an inventory of my classes, and came to the conclusion that I do in fact change techniques. I am a visual, aural, and kinesthetic, meaning that I can learn via pictures, listening, and demonstration.


Most things come easy to me, I have come to admit, accept, and take advantage of this. If I have a difficult time with a subject, I can just work through it and get a decent grade. I have but only one true enemy. My arch foe is known by many names, more commonly however, it is called Chemistry. It has defeated me twice, and now that I am facing it a third time once can see why I have low confidence in that class. No, I’m not taking it for fun; it is for my major, unfortunately. But this year I am determined to defeat it, and now that I know what my strengths are, I will be able to crush the beast once and for all.


Just this morning in my dreaded class of evil, I decided to try a different method other than taking notes, which haven’t been helping. I watched, drew pictures, sample problems, and listened intently. I must say that was the most productive lesson that I have ever encountered. Better yet, when I looked at my notes later on, I still understood them. This class may have made a fool of me before, but never again. In the immortal words of Tim Allen in the movie Galaxy Quest, “Never give up, never surrender!”

No comments:

Post a Comment